Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Paula Modersohn - Becker: a tragic story

I´ve read an interview with Georg Baselitz lately (maybe more about that some other time), and although he said he thinks women are worse artists than men (!), he named few women artists he likes. Among them, there was Paula Modersohn - Becker. I´ve heard about her earlier, but didn´t remember much, so I decided to find more. What a moving, sad story... Of course, there is many important "art information", such as that she was a part of a painter community in Worpswede, and friend with many important artists of her time. But the thing that struck me most is her story as a mother. She wanted to have a child for a long time, and after she overcame some problems in her marriage, she finally became a mother to a little girl. But only 18 days after the baby was born she died. I found somewhere that according to a tradition she had to lie in bed after the labour for at least two weeks, which caused her death. She died after she got up from her bed to care about her baby. She was only 31 years old.
Today I´m extremely tired and my back aches a lot from carrying the baby all time time, but reading something like this makes me incredibly grateful for what I have and can do.




No comments:

Post a Comment