Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Michal Pěchouček - Lessons in art


I went to see an exhibition by Michal Pěchouček, Hodiny v umění (Lessons in art) yesterday. I went there with my todler Marie, which was maybe not a great idea, but I always go to exhibitions with her, there´s no other way to go there. I gave her a cake to be calm and quiet, and one of the ladies there got angry at us, and told us to put in in the bag... I understand that, but the way she told it was quite unpleasant and annoying. Everywhere we went, there was someone to follow our steps, and I felt watched and uncomfortable. Maybe it´s my fault and I´m too easygoing, but I think these institutions should get used to children and visitors with children. I don´t know.
Anyway, I kind of liked the exhibiton. One part of it was just small black and white photographs, which was not very interesting for us, but the second part was sewn paintings - portraits. These "paintings" were huge canvases with figures dressed (and undressed) in pajamas and night gowns. Real clothes and towels were sometimes sewn right onto the painting, than the rest of the body was embroidered/sewn onto the canvas (I´m not really familiar with the teqnique he used). It was called "Time for bed", and pictured people getting ready to go to bed, and also making love later in the bed, with clothes and bedsheets laying next to them. It´s quite erotic, but also lyrical and imaginary.
pictures: artalkweb, artmagazin, lidovky

No comments:

Post a Comment